Frequently Asked Questions
- Make sure your passport is valid for 6 months after your expected date of return.
- It must have at least 5 empty pages.
- Make photocopies of your passport and keep it in a separate location. If for some reason you lose your passport, it is much easier and faster to get it replaced if you have a photo copy.
- Visas are not required for South Africa if your stay is less than 90 days.
- If you travel with a minor, please remember to have written parental consent as well as a certified copy of the minors nu-abridged birth certificate. These documents are required to enter South Africa with a minor. For more information regarding South African travel regulations visit: www.dha.gov.za
The best time to hunt in South Africa
There is no bad time to hunt in South Africa
- Rifle hunting: March through October is great. march and April are still part of the rain season, but am slightly warm. May through July is like September through November in the USA, good fall weather.
- Bow hunting: February through July are best as this is the dry season and there will be more animals coming to water at the waterholes. Minimum 10 days required for bow hunting.
- Common calibers that work well are the .270 Win-mag, 7-08 Rem, 7X57 Mauser, 280 Rem, any one of the 7mm mags, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 magnums, 338-06, 338 Win, .35Whelen, .375H&H, etc.
- Anything that is good for Elk hunting will work well on the game animals.
- Use heavy bullets for the caliber.
- Most shots will not exceed 100 yards.
Currency & banking
- The currency in South Africa is Rand (R).
- You do NOT have to exchange your US Dollars into Rand.
- US currency is accepted at the market where you will be doing your curio shopping.
- Small bills are handy to have.
- Debit Cards require prior authorization to increase your Daily Limit. We suggest you do this before arrival in South Africa.
- There are no required shots for South Africa.
- We do recommend that you get Hepatitis A & B and Tetanus shots.
- Bring enough of your medicines that you are currently using. They should be packed in the prescribed packaging.